Shropshire Regimental Museum
The Museum is now closed for the winter season. We want to wish everyone a merry Christmas and a happy New Year - we look forward to welcoming you back when we reopen on 15 February 2016.
NB: The Curator is on research leave until 22 February and will respond to any emails and enquiries upon her return.
The Regimental Museum was established in 1985 and is housed in the mediaeval border fortress of Shrewsbury Castle.
The Castle houses the spectacular collections of the Shropshire Regimental Museum Trust including pictures, uniforms, medals, silverware, weapons and other artefacts from the 18th Century to the present day.
There is also a Modern Army display (including information on The Rifles), items from the collections of the Lords Lieutenant of Shropshire and a history of the Castle itself.
The oldest parts of the Castle were built between 1067 and 1074, during the reign of William the Conqueror and, gradually rebuilt in stone, it became a major border fortress in the Middle Ages. After the conquest of Wales by 1300, the Castle fell into disrepair but in the late 16th century it was revived to become a domestic residence.
Refortified and briefly besieged during the Civil Wars (1642-51), the Castle was returned to a domestic use under Charles II. In the late 18th century Thomas Telford remodelled the Great Hall as a private house, which it remained until just after World War One.
The Castle was acquired by the Corporation of Shrewsbury in 1924 through the generosity of Shropshire Horticultural Society. Having been used as the borough council chamber for most of the 20th century, Shrewsbury Castle became the home of the Shropshire Regimental Museum in 1985.
Shropshire Regimental Museum has Accredited status.
12 February 2016- Rev Richard Hayes on Lord Hill
See us on Facebook
Part of The Rifles family of regimental museums.